To access Mike Dunlop MCIPS's full profile
A procurement professional with over 10 years’ experience of delivering strategies across a multitude of indirect spend categories that benefit the organisation through the complete contract and procurement life cycle. I pride myself on being able to understand the priorities of business partners and align those priorities to the overall mission statement of the organisation and then aid the business unit to deliver the strategy in line with the various procurement policies and guidelines.
Experience I have gained over my career includes:
• Formulating best practice strategies after researching full requirements
• Deployment of procurement systems, e-procurement tools and process definitions
• Reviewing and developing contracts and general terms and conditions of purchase
• Implementing and communicating change initiatives
• Negotiating with key strategic suppliers as well as internal stakeholders
• Designing and implementing procurement processes and systems such as P2P, E-sourcing and E-catalogues
• Developing and conducting training programs to a global audience either directly or through the medium of e-learning
• Adapting the communication depending on the audience member.
I am also interested in connecting with professionals who are willing to discuss the following:
- Leadership and team development techniques;
- How to strive for a procurement centre of excellence;
- Procurement governance and compliance models.
JOB TITLE: Senior Procurement Manager, Procurement Manager
INDUSTRY: Health Care & Pharmaceuticals
CURRENT LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY: Senior
PRIMARY PROCUREMENT SYSTEM: SAP
Senior Procurement Manager
April 2016 - Present
As the Senior Procurement Manager to the Pharma Division, I provide strategic Procurement support to drive cost reductions, process optimization, supply risk mitigation and working capital optimisation across all initiatives; as well as leveraging innovation from Supply market and fully exploiting synergies across other Bayer legal entities in the UK / Ireland region.
Key Tasks include:
• Lead cross functional procurement activity to develop synergies and optimise cost of supply
• Optimising the supplier base and where required to identify, evaluate and develop new sources of supply to improve the company’s competitiveness. Provide market information to the business in order to realise opportunities and minimise threats
• Responsible for sourcing, tendering, negotiation, contract preparation and finalisation across all projects
• Developing, introducing and managing the concept of Supplier Relationship Management
• Leading the development and implementation of procurement policies, procedures and strategies whilst ensuring compliance
• Involvement in European and Global procurement initiatives in order to maximise benefits to the Bayer group
Global Procurement Excellence Lead
De La Rue
September 2015 - March 2016 ( 6 months )
As Global Procurement Excellence Lead I was responsible for supporting and enabling the global procurement strategy through embedding best in class procurement techniques and tools across the global procurement function.
Using quantitative analyses of KPI’s and external benchmarking I will be able to compare the team’s performance against the structured goals as detailed by the divisions policies and compliance agendas and own the improvement agenda where necessary.
As the main point of contact for operational procurement excellence, I advise colleagues across the company about the best process options for Source to Pay as well as contract management with the aim of creating an efficient end to end process.
January 2015 - Present | Abingdon
Supported by a team of Buyers, Senior Buyer and Engineers I am responsible for the Strategic Partnerships with key suppliers in order to ensure that RM continues to develop successful commercial relationships in order to maximise the collaboration with said suppliers as well as other external knowledge bases in order to provide opportunities to find creative solutions to help RM gain a competitive edge.
This knowledge is then fed into strategic procurement programs which along with input from key internal stakeholders creates a strategy for the procurement categories that achieves the greatest value to RM and its customers. This value is gauged from consistently achieving agreed service levels and key performance metrics that supports the internal and external stakeholders / customers and suppliers.
Senior Category Manager - Professional Services
February 2013 - December 2014 ( 1 year, 10 months )
As Senior Category Manager of Professional Services I was responsible for supporting the Head of Procurement and the other Senior Category Managers with:
- Introducing strategic category management methodologies to a newly formed procurement function
- Increase the Public relations of procurement throughout the organisation
- Design and introduce new working practices for procurement and the business partners
- Re-engineer processes to remove waste and maximise added value
- Help the HoP to create a procurement centre of excellence with the aim of being endorsed by CIPS.
- Develop category plans for the professional services and construction spend
Key Achievements in this role included:
- Create, roll out and train the organisation on the new Procurement Policy elements
- Creation of Standard Operating Procedures and document templates (PQQ, RfP, MRQ)
- Introduce relevant standard terms and conditions for low value and tactical commitments over Purchase Order
- Created a model for calculating cost of transaction processing for KPI purposes
- Introduce optimal transaction options for the organisation eg credit card / petty cash tins for low value spend
- Create savings methodology that delivers back to the ‘bottom line’ instead of indicative savings including how to calculate a relevant baseline
- Design and create a new e-sourcing suite
- Conduct training of users on various procurement strategies and ideologies
- Create a key performance matrix that measures the end to end P2P process and identifies immediate areas for improvement
- Used benchmarking techniques to calculate the costs of processes for efficiency benefits measurements.
August 2012 - February 2013 ( 6 months )
Buyer / Category Manager
February 2008 - August 2012 ( 4 years, 6 months )
Operations Co-ordinator / Ass Operations Manager
Just Lamps Limited
January 2005 - January 2007 ( 2 years )
Contracts manager / Buyer
January 2004 - February 2005 ( 1 year, 1 month )
University of Plymouth
Bsc Hons of Multimedia Computing
2001 - 2005