To access Mark Lewis's full profile
A Business Graduate Purchasing Manager with over 10 years’ experience in purchasing. With a proven track record of cost savings, negotiation skills, supply chain and supplier management and performance monitoring. Quick learning and adaptable individual, evidenced by rapid promotion in a new sector, having been responsible for assets exceeding £1 billion and budgets of over £100 million per annum. An established manager who can manage and motivate a multi-site teams effectively whilst improving results
COMPANY NAME: Unifrax
JOB TITLE: Senior Manager
INDUSTRY: FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods)
CATEGORY: MRO (Maintenance, Repair, & Operational Supplies)
CURRENT LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY: Senior
PRIMARY PROCUREMENT SYSTEM: SAP
September 2018 - Present | Widnes
Category Manager for Unifrax I LLC reporting to the Director of Global Procurement. Unifrax is a leading producer of high temperature insulation products for a wide variety of industrial applications, with 31 manufacturing facilities in 12 countries and over 2,300 employees. Responsible for Global Logistics, including Global sea freight, European road freight and warehousing and MRO.
December 2014 - August 2018 ( 3 years, 8 months ) | Wrexham
Category Manager working in the Central European Office supporting 15 sites in Europe and our Global HQ in the USA
Primarily responsible for Capital procurement for the European group including all machinery, tooling, auxiliaries and downstream equipment, as well as anything else we capitalise.
Am also responsible for colourant and additive category and have been the category manager for packaging.
I also assist with MRO and transport categories and manage intercompany reporting/ knowledge sharing/best practice.
Fully versed in sourcing strategies, SRM, tenders and negotiations and adding value, not focusing on price.
Sealion Shipping Ltd
November 2012 - November 2014 ( 2 years ) | Farnham, Surrey
Purchasing Manager for Sealion Shipping Ltd, who operate a diverse fleet of modern, Dynamically Positioned, offshore support vessels including some of the most modern, sophisticated, Saturation Dive Support Vessels afloat today. The Toisa Offshore Support Vessel Fleet extended to 27 wholly-owned units and one jointly-owned. In addition there are where 4 new ships being built, due for delivery in 2014/15. My role is responsible for supplying all items for safe and efficient operation of the vessels, including technical spare parts and servicing, planned maintenance, stores and consumables, lubricants, chemicals, PPE, crew travel, transport and logistics and safety equipment and servicing with an budgeted spend of over £40 million.
• Writing and implementing procedures for Head Office, vessels trading around the world and satellite offices in Brazil and Singapore, with 4 direct reports
• Categorising key suppliers by prioritising high spend and those with potential operational impact to the company
• Evaluation of current practices with proposals for new systems, which have improved efficiency and reduced headcount
• Implementing contracts and framework agreements in order to improve prices whilst setting SLA’s and KPI’s to ensure performance and quality are exceeding current service, this is already producing results of over 16% ($240k p.a.) cost savings for high spend categories
• Standardised straight rebuy products to ensure common equipment, minimum quality standards and so that contracts can be put in place to take advantage of our volume/spend
Meridian Marine Management
September 2009 - November 2012 ( 3 years, 2 months ) | Liverpool
Meridian Marine Management is a 3rd Party Ship Manager with an annual turnover of over £4 million with clients such as Stena Line, E-On, LD lines and Bibby Lines. The company is responsible for managing and operating assets of over £600 million and has managed over 40 vessels.
The role of Purchasing Manager is responsible for the company’s overall purchasing strategy for a diverse spend covering OPEX and CAPEX for all aspects from engine spare parts and maintenance to catering equipment and servicing, in a time sensitive, quick moving and highly regulated industry. Responsibilities include the negotiation of group supply contracts and exploring and identifying potential new contracts. Carrying out assessments of new suppliers and evaluating current supplier performance from a worldwide supplier base including physical supplier audits in USA, Europe and Central America and updating approved suppliers lists. Maintaining the competiveness and efficiency of the department, including overall responsibility for the administration and processes/procedures for the Purchasing Department to ensure it complies with all statutory requirements and ISO9001/ISO14001. The role also includes 3 direct reports and the associated performance management and development responsibilities of these employees.
• Lube Oil contract was brought in house from parent company with a higher spend/volume. Through negotiation, relationships and management of the contract this resulted in savings of over $98,000 (10.3%) during the first six months.
• Sea Stores Paint contract renegotiation resulted in like for like savings of over 15%. This is despite raw material costs increasing by over 16% and included minimum service level with penalties (e.g. minimum OTIF level)
• Negotiated consignment stock for 12 months of bespoke PPE requirement, which is available for call off, but only charged when required and delivered
• Implementation of mooring rope contract that now has bespoke sizes to ensure
Purchasing Officer to Senior Purchasing Officer
Meridian Marine Management
May 2007 - September 2009 ( 2 years, 4 months ) | Liverpool
Responsible to Technical Manager, supplying all requirements of the vessels to keep running, from provisions to deck and engine stores. Purchasing for a variety of vessel types including DSVs, PSVs, colliers, bulk carriers, container ships, RORO and ROPAX ferries. Sourcing, monitoring/appraising and building relationships with suppliers. Negotiating discounts with suppliers, to ensure the best possible prices. Sourcing stores/parts at the cheapest price, to the required quality in the assigned time frame within budget. Responsible for fully storing new build vessels, so that they are at the required standard to go into service once under our management. Supplying bunkers for the fleet and setting up and maintaining contracts with suppliers. Responsible for 3 members of staff and reviewing their performance and training and mentoring new members of staff so they can successfully complete the role. Acted as back up the IT Manager, responsible for maintaining servers, systems and any general queries/problems in his absence, this included travel onboard vessels to set up networks and systems in Chioggia and Palma
Liverpool John Moores Universoty
BA (Hons) Business Studies of Business Studies
2002 - 2005
Modules include Purchasing, Inventory Management, Management, Operations, Finance, Sales, Marketing, IT
Lloyd's Maritime Academy
Diploma in Marine Purchasing and Supply - Graduate of the Ye of Procurement
2011 - 2011
Similar to CIPS but with a focus on the marine industry, achieved the graduate of the year award for the highest result from the Global intake for the course
MCIPS of Procurement MCIPS
2015 - 2018