To access Gordon Donovan's full profile
I am a Procurement "lifer" having worked in procurement my entire working career (26 years). As a fellow of CIPS I am passionate about raising procurements influence within organizations and the value that procurement can deliver.
I am a sought after facilitator and trainer, stimulating thought and debate about procurement development and how it can be implemented. As a practitioner, I lead teams to improved business outcomes through integrating procurement and organizational strategy.
Through published articles and training programs I aim to increase the skill base of procurement professionals to allow them to deliver the value that they can create for their organizations.
I am also a licensed SDI (Strength Deployment Inventory) facilitator which allows me to develop high performing teams and improve internal and external communication planning and delivery.
CURRENT LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY: Senior
PRIMARY PROCUREMENT SYSTEM: Other
Procurement & Supply Chain Manager
Metro Trains Melbourne
August 2015 - Present | Melbourne
As a key member of the procurement leadership team, my role is to advise the CPO on developments within procurement that may impact Metro Trains performance.
I also have responsibility for delivery of linked projects to these improvements and have developed, and implemented a range of policy and process frameworks.
The Faculty Management Consultants Pty Ltd
February 2014 - July 2015 ( 1 year, 4 months )
The Faculty is a niche management consultancy concentrating on procurement and developing commercial leaders.
• Working across all three aspects of the business (networks, consulting & training) lead various project teams in delivering better outcomes for clients.
• Develop and deliver capability strategy
• Develop new Intellectual Property for the organisation.
• Develop new areas of business, across consulting and capability development
ArcBlue Consulting Group
April 2013 - January 2014 ( 9 months ) | Melbourne
Gordons key responsibilities were:
Managing capability development programs for a range of public and private sector clients.
Managing procurement consultancy programs
Design & deliver capability assessment tools
Lead strategy for learning & development in Australia & New Zealand
Coaching & mentoring for sourcing and contract management programs
PMMS Consulting Group
May 2011 - April 2013 ( 1 year, 11 months )
Gordons main responsibilities were to manage the people transformation projects within clients as well as to coach skills into clients for specific procurement events.
• Accredited deliver of organizational certification. This will assess organizations procurement policies, procedures and processes against international standards and produce roadmaps for improvement
• Design and delivery of organizational and people transformation programs
• Program designer and deliver of “Corporate Award” a business improvement program that delivers MCIS qualification to the delegates and transformation in procurement capability for the business.
• Gordon worked with many public and private sector clients in developing procurement strategies.; Recent experience includes
o Contract Management program for Oil & Gas
o Fleet Management, Lease v Buy strategy
o Logistics EPCM contracting
o Outsourcing 3rd Party Logistics functions
National Procurement Manager
January 2010 - April 2011 ( 1 year, 2 months )
Following an external review Gordon was employed to deliver some specific procurement projects and to develop the procurement function policy, process and procedures
• Managed all aspects of the organisations procurement function including strategic sourcing activities, negotiations, contract management, and key supplier relationships
• Wrote procurement policy and procedures and designed new strategic sourcing process and associated tools
• Departmental transformation which included implementing category management
• Conducted market segmentation and supplier segmentation reviews for design of procurement and category strategies
August 2006 - December 2009 ( 3 years, 4 months )
Gordon worked on a variety of consulting assignments covering procurement transformation, sourcing and development projects. Highlights include;
• Worked with university on a variety of sourcing projects. Delivered savings of 20% on a communications contract
• Worked with oil refinery as interim manager on 2 major projects totalling over $200 million, including negotiation of Engineering, Procurement and Contracts Management (EPCM) contracts worth over $50million
• Delivered savings of 30% on medical equipment purchases for Australian medical institute.
• Worked with university, developed range of new procurement process and policies
• Designed and delivered training courses in Negotiation, Contract Management, Contract Law, Risk Management, Contract Strategy, Sourcing Skills, and Reducing Total Cost
• Designed and delivered “Corporate Award” program for CIPS Australia. Corporate Award is an 18 month applied learning course which enables its delegates to achieve MCIPS Status
Senior Procurement & Contracts Manager
Transport for London
May 2004 - July 2006 ( 2 years, 2 months )
Worked as part of the corporate procurement function having responsibility for a range of specific procurement projects, including;
• Development of Oyster card from transport ticketing solution to low value cash transaction replacement card. Consultancy work: saved 25% against £mulit million spend. Achieved through both negotiation on costs at start of the contract and contract management during its life.
• Lead procurement on the project for selecting partner (s) for TfL to transact with for the development and roll out of this new card.
• Total FM project: Saved 10% against £multimillion spend. Reduced supplier base to 1 contract from 8.
• Renegotiated Security (Manned guarding) Contract saving 5% against spend of £multi Million
• Lift Maintenance: Negotiated a fixed price 5 year contract resulting in savings of 23%.
• New Internal Audit Co-sourcing arrangement saving 15% on day rates.
May 2002 - April 2004 ( 1 year, 11 months )
Designing and delivering purchasing courses, business improvement courses and in-house bespoke work for large blue chip clients such as Astra Zeneca, Marks & Spencer, NHS, GSK, Kodak, B&Q.
Courses included: Introduction to Purchasing, Contract Law, Vendor Rating & Appraisal, Designing and Managing Effective Contracts, Negotiation courses, Outsourcing, Savings Techniques, Contract Letting and Evaluation, Understanding Sales Techniques, Purchasing Services.
Group Purchasing Manager
Trader Media Group
January 2001 - November 2001 ( 10 months )
Gordon was employed to handle the transformation of procurement from 13 disparate departments into a new group function. Highlights include;
• Transformation of department, aligning procurement to business goals.
• Developed and implemented Procurement and Facilities management strategy.
• Development and implementation of property strategy.
• Rationalized supplier base on fleet, telecoms, utilities and property.
• Made substantial savings on fleet, mobile phones, utilities, property Management. landline calls
April 1997 - December 2000 ( 3 years, 8 months )
Working as part of the facilities team, Gordon lead the procurement function within this area.
• Saved £350,000 on cleaning contract, £150,000 on M&E contract, £200,000 on mobile phone contract, £150,000 on fleet contract, £100,000 on IT services contract.
• Secured service improvements on all major contracts to ensure business was satisfied with contracts.
• Rationalized supplier base and initiated lead suppliers.
• Designed and implemented performance management system to measure service levels of external and internal suppliers.
April 1996 - April 1997 ( 1 year )
Marketing purchasing service to schools, responsible for councils’ involvement in consortium purchasing.
Managed several contracts, including groceries, printing and IT.
Increased throughput on all contracts via successful marketing campaign including redesigning and reissuing purchasing catalogue.
Saved over 21% on groceries and provisions contract allowing internal catering department to retain business following market testing.
NHS Supplies North West
January 1989 - January 1996 ( 7 years )
Produced new contract for Lab equipment. Saving £50,000 PA
Renegotiated lab consumable contract saved £65,000 PA
Managed procurement for refitted Trafford General Hospital Lab following fire.
Lead sourcing and tendering of high value, multi million pound capital equipment
With managers negotiated and designed leasing terms and conditions for NHS.
The University of Salford
Graduate Diploma. CIPS of Purchasing, Procurement/Acquisitions and Contracts Managemen
1994 - 1995
Burnage High School
High school qualifications (O level & GCSE) of High School/Secondary Diplomas and Certificates
1982 - 1987
University of South Wales
MSc Strategic Procurement of Management
2015 - 2015