To access Darren Williams's full profile
CIP’s qualified procurement professional with strong engineering background and strength in end to end category management. Currently a Category Manager at Downer with key skills in Category Management, Key Stakeholder Engagement, Negotiation, Supplier Relationship Management, Risk Assessment, Strategic Sourcing and Cost Reduction.
INDUSTRY: Infrastructure & Real Estate
CATEGORY: Professional Services
CURRENT LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY: Intermediate
PRIMARY PROCUREMENT SYSTEM: JD Edwards
Category Manager - Subcontractors
Currently seeking new opportunities
January 2014 - February 2015 ( 1 year, 1 month ) | Perth
Downer Infrastructure – Category Manager (Subcontractors)
End to end Category Management covering the following categories:
- Subcontractors (Total Spend $560M)
- Heavy Earth Moving Equipment (Dry Hire) (Total Spend $2M)
- Developed a category plan for subcontractors from ground up. This involved analyzing spend data and engaging key stakeholders to define sub categories, identify suppliers and develop a go to market strategy. An example is as below:
Engaged business key stakeholders in NSW and QLD to determine Value Drivers for operational improvements in Profiler, Paver and Spray Seal Subcontract Crews. Key drivers included defining the rate card structure, cost reduction, cost modeling, introducing performance KPI’s, operational process improvements and development of the subcontract template (Terms and Conditions).
Managed the Request for Tender (RFT) process from start to finish. Savings of $3.5M whilst also improving contractual conditions (i.e increased payment terms 30 to 45 days, implemented operational KPI’s and new contract clauses driving operational improvement i.e Call Off, Standby etc)). Managed ongoing Continuous improvement through Supplier Relationship Management. Suppliers reduced from 11 to 3 on Profilers and 14 to 2 on Pavers.
Other examples include a civil tender in WA.
- Implemented Heavy Earthmoving Dry Hire Framework Agreement with national, regional and metro rates. Savings estimated at approx $1m.
Bis Industries Ltd
October 2011 - January 2014 ( 2 years, 3 months )
End to end Category Management covering the following categories with combined spend of over $90M:-
• MRO – Direct spend material across Truck and Trailer, Earth Moving, General Consumables. Categories included Hydraulics, Electrical, Cable, Engine, Transmission, Driveshaft, Cooling
• Heavy Earth Moving Equipment Hire
• General Equipment Hire
• General Consumables
• External Repair and Maintenance Services
Earth Moving Equipment Hire
Developed the category plan from the ground up engaging with key stakeholders on a national basis. Savings of $1.1M and reduction in the supply base from 33 suppliers to 6.
Negotiated a national contract with a national consumables supplier saving approximately $500K. Implemented value add initiatives such as Consumable Kiosks.
Responsibility for ongoing supplier relationship management and cost reduction. Generated approx $300K savings in FY11 through part rationalization, renegotiation and consolidation.
External Repair and Maintenance
Engaged Key Stakeholders in Operations to develop a category plan and sourcing strategy for all External Repair and Maintenance services. This involved the development of sub category descriptions, identifying potential suppliers, RFx strategy and implementation, supplier evaluation, supplier selection and contract implementation. Savings estimated at approx 15>20%
Advanced Procurement Manager
December 2000 - October 2011 ( 10 years, 10 months )
Commercial support to Development teams in New Product Introduction of UMTS Products.
Products supported – RNC / OMC / BSR / Remote Radio Head WCDMA/LTE(RRH). Ownership of product costs/system cost roadmaps and cost reduction activities. Primary focal point for RRH application into Global Procurement and Sourcing.
- Early Supplier Involvement
- Reverse Engineering and Competitive Intelligence.
- Component and Supplier Selection
- Make/Buy analysis
- Risk Assessment & Management
- Supplier Selection
- Supplier Capability Assessment
- 3rd Party SW support.
- Cost Roadmap / Target Cost Tracking
- Pre Production Procurement Support
- Support Implementation of Global Agreements / Global Negotiations
- Volume Manufacture Transition Support
- Global Strategy Implementation
- Develop Life of Product Manufacture strategy / logistics
Global Purchasing Commodity Specialist (Electronics & PWBA's)
April 1998 - December 2000 ( 2 years, 8 months )
- Supplier Business Assessments
- Supplier Negotiations & Supplier development
- Sub Commodity strategy development(PWBA'S(EMS Providers), Sensors/Switches
- New Supplier Selection.
- Contract Management, Development & Implementation.
- Product Cost down & Gap Analysis
- Systems Development - Docushare Contracts site / PCO Access Database
- Semiconductor End of Life.
MSc (Distinction) of Electronic Product Engineering
1992 - 1993
University of Surrey
B Eng Hons of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
1988 - 1992