To access Bertrand Maltaverne's full profile
I am a Procurement digitalist.
I spent a lot of time at the photocopier and the fax machine at my Procurement job, but then I got involved with an eSourcing pilot project at my company, a Fortune 500. This was when I realized the potential of modern Procurement technology - and its challenges.
Since then, I have spent 15 years focused on the digitalization of Procurement (direct and indirect), in various roles. Now that I have switched to the procurement software vendor and consultancy, I use my experience to help organizations succeed in their transformation projects.
I believe in the transformative effect of technology on business. It sounds counterintuitive but I also believe that digital is a means, not the end.
Precisely because the digital transformation is not purely a technological challenge, is why I am so passionate about it. I have learned from psychology, behavioral economics, communication and change management.
My specialty is synthesizing all this to develop a vision, build a strategy and implement it. In my work and outside it, I contribute to the field on social media, blogs, articles, and conferences.
❝Revolution doesn't happen when society adopts new technologies — it happens when society adopts new behaviors.❞ —Clay Shirky in Here Comes Everybody
COMPANY NAME: Ivalua
JOB TITLE: Procurement Digitalist
FUNCTION: Consultancy, Strategy, & Transformation
INDUSTRY: Business Services & Consulting
CATEGORY: BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) Services
CURRENT LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY: Senior
April 2018 - Present
The Digital Transformation People
March 2017 - Present
I write content on The Digital Transformation People, a platform that curates news, views and expert opinion on all aspects of digital disruption. It connects people sharing, insights, knowledge, and their expertise on digital transformation.
My articles are available here: http://www.thedigitaltransformationpeople.com/authors/bertrand-maltaverne#
Public Spend Forum
June 2016 - Present
Contribute content to Public Spend Forum, a platform to help public sector buyers and suppliers learn, collaborate and drive value together by providing:
(1) action- and learning-oriented content
(2) a community platform that enables buyers and suppliers to collaborate
(3) decision-oriented data
Product Marketing / Marketing Content Manager
JAGGAER / POOL4TOOL
April 2016 - March 2018 ( 1 year, 11 months )
My role is to bring business-domain knowledge (Procurement, Procurement Tech, Business/Digital Transformation) in order to produce / supervise the production of high-quality content that fits with
- POOL4TOOL's business strategy,
- the needs and challenges of the Procurement profession,
- the market of Procurement solutions.
Development of Strategy / Process / Tools related to Content Marketing, with a focus on the int'l / North-American market.
Business content creation:
- Company blog
- Whitepapers (Co-author / Author)
- Social Media
- Workshops / Webinars
Senior Business Consultant
JAGGAER / POOL4TOOL
April 2014 - Present
As Senior Business Consultant for Alengis, the consulting branch of POOL4TOOL, my role is to support companies in their efforts to transform their Procurement processes via the use of Purchase-To-Pay technology.
Some of the domains:
- Implementation of a global category management maximizing spend management value
- Implementation of SRM (Supplier Relationship Management) enhancing collaboration across functions and the supply-chain
- Enhancement of existing eSourcing/eProcurement strategies optimizing process effectiveness and efficiency
- Enhancement of spend analysis approaches fostering value detection and creation
Some recent projects:
- Definition of a 3-year Procurement transformation program for a Scandinavian automotive OEM
- Redesign of the RFQ process for logistics of a market leader in the field of sanitary fittings
- Definition and implementation of Category Management principles (taxonomy, roles...) for a market leader of high-pressure cleaning products and devices
Manager of eTools for Non Production Purchasing worldwide
January 2013 - March 2014 ( 1 year, 2 months ) | Grenoble, France and Vienna, Austria
- Ramped-up up the worldwide organization and governance required to support globally the eProcurement solutions in place (CommerceOne and SAP SRM) in EU, NAM, and APAC. Existing solutions representing approx. 20,000 POs / month - €1.5bn of annual spend.
- Built business case to get the 3-year roadmap for eProcurement defined, adopted, and funded to ensure effective deployment. Roadmap representing approx. €1.5m of cash-out for the next 3 years.
- Represented Procurement and co-leaded activities to source & select a new cloud-based eProcurement solutions that will be the target solution at the group level.
Tools & Processes Manager for Non Production Purchasing EMEAS
August 2009 - January 2013 ( 3 years, 5 months ) | Grenoble, France
Based in Grenoble, France until 07/2012.
Based in Vienna, Austria since 07/2012.
My role was to maximize the EMEAS (Europe, Middle East, Africa, & South America) Non-production Purchasing Division's performance (internal customer satisfaction and contribution to group P&L) by building a dedicated Tools & Processes team and by developing and rolling out targeted processes and tools such as eProcurement and eBooking.
- Increased eProcurement coverage by 10% (from 70% to 80%) by implementing it in new countries and business units.
- Leaded re-engineering of new supplier management processes to fit with the new organizational principles
- Built business case related to implementation of eProcurement including hard/soft savings and business transformation plans
- Set up project plan, deployment methodology and project team.
- Worked with country management teams and business units to extend coverage of eProcurement to improve purchase-to-pay processes
- Liaised with other businesses (IT and Finance) to coordinate actions and increase project support
- Created the central organization by recruiting a team member to handle processes at division level (vs. country level previously)
- Fostered creation of a library of best practices on spend management for Indirect Purchasing to make it available to all countries of the division
Global Purchasing Application Support
January 2004 - July 2009 ( 5 years, 6 months ) | Grenoble, France
Manager of a team of 10 people located in Grenoble, France and Shanghai, China in charge of the support and deployment of all global purchasing applications (eSourcing, eProcurement, Supplier database, Spend Analysis). Constantly expanded the footprint of the global applications by driving value- & user-focused actions. Implemented collaboration/knowledge management principles to facilitate the off-shoring of several tasks (user support, data management & cleansing) from Grenoble, France to Shanghai, China
Schneider Electric France
July 2001 - January 2004 ( 2 years, 6 months ) | Grenoble, France
- 5.5% savings in 2003 for a total portfolio of €12 million for 5 production units
- Implemented productivity and penalty contracts targeting service quality
- Transferred components to international suppliers (Turkey, Eastern Europe, Asia)
- Benchmarked and challenged referenced suppliers
- Increased reliability of resupply channels in cooperation with relevant production units
Built MS Access databases improving:
- Access to information concerning items purchased
- Management and monitoring of Request For Quotation process
Schneider Electric Turkey
December 1998 - June 2001 ( 2 years, 6 months ) | Izmir, Turkey
Quality improvements achieved:
- 10/2000: Obtained the TSE (Turkish Standards Institute) EN1008-1 endorsement
- Improved product performance by 20% and reduced sub-assemblies by 17%
- Cut production-line repairs by two-thirds and final check rejects by half
- Ensured technology transfer
- Implemented Product Quality Plan from incoming components to final product shipping
- Implemented monthly and weekly production team meetings to improve processes
- Creation of Microsoft Access databases improving: document management meeting ISO 9000 standards and tracking of quality indicators and product performance
- Actively contributed to ISO 14000 certification team
Ecole nationale supérieure d'Arts et Métiers
Engineer of Mechanical Engineering
1994 - 1997